Sunday, May 25, 2008

Scrumptious Dessert in less than 30 minutes - Mini Fruit Crisps

Sorry, no picture. But a few weeks ago, and again last night, I made quick 2-person fruit crisps with fruit that was just starting to get a little overripe, and both attempts were highly successful. The first crisp was pear, the second was peach blueberry. For both crisps, I used about 2 cups of fruit (2 medium-large pears or 2 small peaches and couple of handfuls of frozen blueberries, still frozen). I just lazily chopped the washed, unpeeled fruit, without really caring about uniformity.

I tossed the fruit into a small round baking dish - 6 inch diameter, holds about 3 cups.

For the topping, I roughly followed a recipe like this one, scaled down for 2: rolled oats, flour, brown sugar, a dash of cinnamon, and butter (about 1 tbs works for a small 2-person crisp). Then I squish the butter into the dry ingredients with my hands until it's crumbly. In last night's crisp, I used wheat germ in place of the walnuts called for in this recipe, and that worked out just fine. I think the ratio of about 2 cups fruit to 1 cup topping is about right.

Then put it in the oven at 375 for 15 mins or so (since it's small). Pour a glass of soy milk or cow milk, and a relatively healthy, homemade, warm dessert is ready.

No comments: