Sunday, May 18, 2008

5-ingredient miso soup

No pictures. But this was super easy and scrumptious. Since I used pre-sliced mushrooms, I just dumped them in the pot with water and let them simmer while I chopped the tofu and scallions. Another note: I was just cooking for myself, so I was too lazy to make a side dish. But this is definitely a light soup and some brown rice with soy sauce or perhaps some store-bought avocado sushi would have been a nice complement to the meal.

Adapted from Nava Atlas's Five-ingredient Vegetarian Gourmet:

Ingredients:

About 2 cups sliced mushrooms, any variety (I used white, pre-sliced because I had them on hand, but next time I'll use a combination of shitake and cremini for richer flavor.)

8 ounces cubed firm tofu

2 sliced scallions, white and green parts

3 to 4 tablespoons miso, any variety, (I used white) dissolved in a cup water

The recipe also calls for snow peas. I didn't have any on hand, and still thought the soup was good. It would have been nice to have them.

Directions:

Simmer mushrooms in 5 cups water for 10 mins.

Add the snow peas (if using) and tofu; simmer 2-3 mins.

Add scallions and dissolved miso.

No comments: