Friday, May 2, 2008

Tonight's dinner - May 2, 2008

Mollie Katzen's After-Work Bulgur Special
From
Vegetable Heaven



I like this dish so much, I keep all the ingredients except the scallions and bell pepper on hand all the time (and these ingredients are used in lots of other recipes I like, too).

Before work, boil 1 and 3/4 cup water. Put 1 cup bulgur in a large heatproof bowl (bulgur will expand). Dump water over bulgur, cover tightly, and leave for work.

After work
, toss bulgur with a handful of currants, pine nuts, a drizzle of olive oil, 4 chopped scallions, 2 tbs lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste. For a prettier presentation, put in bell pepper halves and microwave to your preferred doneness.

I should mention that the above after work preparation took about 10 mins, and was highly entertaining to my toddler, who enjoyed his front row seat at the cooking show. This is how I usually make dinner, with him safely strapped into his high chair, after he's eaten his dinner. He'll only sit there happily for 10-15 mins, so whatever I do can't take long.


Caprese salad




A simple plate of sliced fresh mozzarella, sliced tomato, fresh basil, and olives drizzled with olive oil, salt, and pepper.

I made up the salad while my husband gave our son his bedtime snack.

Lovely Friday night dinner.

No comments: