Monday, July 7, 2008

Make-Your-Own Farro Salad and Crostini


Sorry I haven't posted in awhile. I was crazy busy, and then on vacation.

Here's a fun summer make-your-own meal. I set some warm farro tossed with a little balsamic vinegar and pine nuts and crostini on the table, along with steamed green beans, fresh mozzarella, good olives, chopped fresh tomatoes, sliced red pepper, and torn basil leaves. My husband and I mixed the farro and crostini with the various delicious tidbits. An easy, pretty meal and perfect for a hot day when you don't feel like cooking. This is also a great way to use up leftovers or incorporate your farmer's market or garden goodies.

I made the farro in my black and decker steamer and the crostini by slicing some day-old baguette, brushing lightly with olive oil and salt, and baking at about 400 for 10 mins.

Other variations of the make-your-own meal are burritos, pizza, and mediterranean mezze platters, all of which I'm likely to post about soon. My toddler is just starting to eat non-pureed food (hallelulah!), so we'll see if this turns out to be true, but I'm guessing that the make-your-own meal in all its variations will be a hit - he'll be able to be picky and probably like all the fun little tidbits to choose from.

No comments: