Saturday, June 7, 2008

This eating real food project is really turning me into a hippie

In previous posts, I talked about making granola, starting a small garden, and visiting pick-your-own farms. Well, I've been making my own yogurt, too, with the help of this amazing device. Is this where I'm headed?

My toddler (with a little help from me and my husband) eats at least 3 quarts of really nice, organic, whole milk yogurt a week. That yogurt costs about $5-6 per quart. I guess I could give him a less expensive, sugary, brightly colored yogurt, but...

So I started to look into making my own yogurt. Even though it is really not that hard, I am unlikely to do anything requiring a thermometer and the iffiness of warm blankets, oven pilot lights, and such to maintain the right milk fermenting temperature.

Then I discovered the Miracle Yogurt Maker. And I am totally hooked. Here's how it works: buy a quart of milk. Open it. Add a couple tablespoons of plain store-bought yogurt. If you want a thicker yogurt, stir in a little powdered milk. Close carton (I use a small binder clip). Turn yogurt maker on. Leave on for 12-20 hours. Take carton out of yogurt maker. Put carton in fridge for 1 hour to set. Eat.

Now we have homemade yogurt several times a week for about $2-3/quart. And it is soooo good. We like ours with some fruit or a little maple syrup drizzled in. For breakfast, dessert, or a snack. Our toddler also eats it with no problem.

No comments: