Friday, September 12, 2008

Cherry Pie Oatmeal

Okay, it doesn't really taste like cherry pie, but it was possibly the best oatmeal I've ever had, super easy, and actually in keeping with the vegetarian meal plan I'm trying at Sparkpeople. I was inspired by this recipe at Locavore on Core, but I am pressed for time and lazy in the mornings and I don't have a pressure cooker anyway. So here's the lazy girl microwave adaptation:

- Dump 1 cup regular rolled oats in a medium glass bowl
- Add 13/4 to 2 cups water and a dash of salt
- Stir
- Microwave on high 3 mins
- Add about 1/2 small bag frozen cherries, 2 tsp brown sugar, and cinnamon to taste
- Stir
- Microwave on high 1 min
- Stir, serve, and eat

Serves 2 adults and 1 toddler (The Picky Toddler ate several bites of this and he never eats oatmeal!) I had mine with a glass of soy milk and wasn't hungry until lunchtime. This dish will definitely be making regular appearances at our breakfast table and frozen cherries will now be a grocery store staple for us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have a better recipe.

Use Instant Oatmeal. Put some in a bowl. Open a can of Sugar Free Cherry Pie Filling and mix to taste with the oatmeal. No need to cook and tastes great. :)